Friday, October 18, 2013

Blood is thicker

Growing up I didn't know my father's side of the family. I thought it was a normal thing until I became a teenager then I realized it wasn't normal. Most children did know both sides of their families. It made me very sad, very sad that there are cousins, aunts, uncles, even brothers and sisters that I don't know.

When I got married I made it my first concern to make sure my girls had the chance to know all their family. They were going to know their father's side of the gaming. It was easy, they are a great family. Big Grandma's house was full of laughter and fun. It was something I never knew because I never had a grandma that wanted to be with her grandchildren. I fell in love with my new family.

Through the years there were ups and downs like any typical family but I always felt secure and part of the family. "Blood is thicker than water" didn't have any meaning for me because I was blood, or at least in my eyes I was blood not water.

Sixteen years into my marriage the worst thing that could happen happened. My husband walked out on his family. He walked out and didn't look back. My girls and I were crushed. Everyone around us was crushed. The support for my girls and I was incredible. As months went by the blood became thinner and thinner until water dripped out of my veins.

On the nights when I couldn't get myself off the floor, it was my sisters who came and lifted me up. When I had a bare cupboard my friends filled it up. When I had no comfort to give my girls, my dad made them laugh. The family I fell in love with was no longer there. Or maybe they never were there for me. Maybe I imagined the closeness because of the need to fill the hole I was missing growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment